Why is World Book Day organized by UNESCO to promote reading widely observed on 23 April whereas in the UK it is celebrated in March?
The reason that organisers in the UK & Ireland moved the observance to the first Thursday of every March, is to avoid clashes with Easter school holidays and with St George’s Day.
With that being said, whenever you may be celebrating World Book Day read on for some ideas to celebrate, whether you are in school or at home.
These are my top 5 picks from the internet to save you time searching:
- Dress Up as a Book Character: Simple and fun ideas for all ages.
- World Book Day Website: This is the official World Book Day site with an abundance of events and opportunities for children to be introduced to authors, illustrators and fun activities for everyone in the family.
- Teaching Ideas for World Book Day: A site packed with many ideas for all ages and subjects
- Non-Screen Activities for Book Lovers: A great Pobble resources with super non-screen ideas to celebrate this special day.
- World Book Day Costume Ideas: I love these last minute costume ideas that you can make on your own with things from home.
- World Book Day Ideas for Primary Teachers: If you are back in school this website has wonderful ideas for lessons and whole school celebrations.
How will you celebrate World Book Day this year? Leave a comment below.
Till next time…