Traditional fairy tales were passed on verbally from generation to generation before being recorded in books, that is why there are different versions of a known story.
Fairy tales are stories with fictional elements. Below are some common characteristics that fairy tales have:
- Set in the past
- Use some form or variation of “Once upon a time”
- Fantasy or make-believe magic
- Enchanted setting – can include forests, castles, water or kingdoms
- Clearly defined good and evil characters
- Characters take on unusual forms like: giants, witches, dwarfs, talking animals
- Groups of 3 (objects, people or events)
- Clearly defined problem, climax and resolution
- Usually have a happy ending
- Teach us a lesson that is important to the culture it came from
Scroll down to watch some well known fairy tales.
Do you know them?
Which one is your favourite? Can you think of any others?
Till next time…