Formative and Summative Assessment Explained

As reposted before in a previous post, ‘Assessment in the Classroom’ – check it out for more detail – assessment is a must for effective teaching. It is used to improve pupils’ learning as well as teaching.

Teachers become better and students become effective learners when evidence is used to guide instruction and learning.

For this reason, there are different types of assessment that are equally valuable. They serve different purposes, depending on how the data is used. The two most commonly used, formative and summative assessment, are the ones that cause the greatest confusion .

The video below was created to clear confusion and give a simple explanation of the two.

I hope it helps clarify the two. Enjoy and share if you like it! ❤

Till next time…

Advertisements

One thought on “Formative and Summative Assessment Explained

1. 8 March 2018 at 12:12

Cute video with a clear explanation, Peppi. I found the soundtrack a bit distracting though.

Liked by 1 person

• 8 March 2018 at 20:53

Thanks for the feedback, Norah! The soundtrack was just for a bit of fun because of the title, it can always be turned down or off if too distracting. Maybe I’ll choose a softer less distracting one for the next one.. you’ve given me some food for thought 🙂
      Nonetheless,I’m glad you enjoyed it; your input is always appreciated!

Liked by 1 person

• 9 March 2018 at 12:36

I knew the sound could be turned off but I wanted the full experience. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

• 9 March 2018 at 12:37

Haha! Valid point! 😆😊😊😊😊
        I’m curious now to see what you think of the next one. 💕

Liked by 1 person

• 9 March 2018 at 12:55

We’ll see. Don’t be shy in sending me a message if I don’t visit straight away. My inbox tends to fill very quickly. 🙂

Liked by 1 person